Sunday, September 14, 2014

Thermomix Carrot Bread

How do you hide a carrot in a loaf of bread? Easy!

I've been using the bread recipe on The Road To Loving My Thermomix partly because it's the perfect size to fit in my el cheapo eBay bread tin. She has some fantastic hints for making bread in her hints and tips section. You may need to scroll quite a way to find the bread tips, but it's worth the effort!

Here's a 110gm carrot waiting to be carefully concealed in bread...


Scrub the carrot, chop roughly and blitz at speed 7 until it stops hitting the sides.


Add 200gm water and blitz at speed 9 for 10 - 20 seconds. 

Add 1tsp sugar, 2tsp yeast and warm to 37 degrees, speed 1 for 2 minutes (or longer if your water was cold).

Add 400gm flour (I'm on a tight budget this week so using 75c/kg plain flour from Coles, but decent bread flour will give a better result and is easier to handle), 1tsp salt and 50gm oil.

Mix in by turning slowly to speed 3 for a couple of seconds, then speed 7 for 5 seconds.


At The Road To Loving My Thermomix, Peta likes to knead for 6 minutes, but I find there comes a stage where the sticker vegie-laden dough starts sticking to the bottom of the Thermomix, so I keep an eye on it and knead until the dough has come together nicely as a ball. Once I can see dough starting to stick to the bottom of the bowl, I stop and turn it out onto an oiled mat. This is usually 2 1/2 to 3 minutes for me.


Wrap in the Thermomat (or place in an oiled bowl) and pop in the sun or in a Varoma placed over warm water in the Thermoserver.


It should rise nicely, but I find I don't get as powerful a rise with the plain flour and carrot.


It's sticky so I oil my pan then handle it with oiled fingers. For a particularly sticky batch, I'll rise it in the baking tin and knock back down in the tin.


Knock it down then let it rise in the tin while the oven preheats to 200 degrees.


Cook for about 25 minutes, then leave to sit in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out. 


I usually pop it back into the oven out of the tin to form a solid crust right around the loaf.


Slice when cold. This makes great sandwich bread or toast.


The colour is a quite distinctive yellow, but there's little discernible carrot flavour and it works well with savoury or sweet toppings.

No comments: