Why is it so hard to make just the right amount of rice? It seems so miserly to run out of rice at the dinner table, but sometimes the leftover rice is just uninspiring.
I didn't feel like fried rice ... but there were some serious rice leftovers to be used today, so I went hunting for new recipes and came up with these:
- 250gm cooked rice ( nice and moist ) (8.8 ozs)
- 250 gm caster sugar (8.8 ozs)
- 1 Tablespoon golden syrup
- 6 eggs
- 200 gm almond meal (7 ozs)
- 50 gm cocoa (1.75 ozs)
- 1 tsp baking powder
This mix tasted delicious uncooked! I blitzed the caster sugar, added the rice, then mixed in the rest of the ingredients. Baked at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
The cupcakes were a bit dense and I think I might blitz the rice for longer next time ... but there will be a next time because the cocoa flavour was so dark and rich.
Leftover rice quiche probably would've been more successful if I'd been in less of a hungry hurry and cooked the base just a little longer...
- Enough cooked rice to thickly cover the base of the dish you want to use
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- A handful or two of grated cheese – whatever is available, a mixture is fine
- A mixture of sliced onions, peppers and mushrooms (or other vegetables, see note)
- A generous handful of chopped fresh herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
I grated a good hunk of tasty cheese in the Thermomix, then left half of it in the bowl and mixed it up with about 2 cups of rice and one egg. I spread it over an oiled pie dish to make a base. A sprinkle of cheese then into the 180 degree oven to firm up.
I did NOT firm it up for long enough.
While the base was in the oven I chopped a hefty handful of parsley with half a red onion then mixed them with the leftover cheese and two eggs. I poured them over then cooked it all for another 20 minutes (did I mention I was hungry?).
It looked great, but the base was not particularly firm so I popped it back in the oven for another 15 minutes while I ate the first soggy slice. As with the cupcakes, I'll be making this again.
PS The leftover quiche from lunch was a big hit for dinner! I'm thinking it will be a great picnic basket addition :) .