Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day 2006




...was terrific! It's going to be hard for them to top this one :).

I wasn't expecting a good night's sleep, because Bubs had been sick, but I wasn't expecting the Ginger Ninja to arrive in our room shortly after midnight with a cyclist's rash in a place so embarrassing only dh could give you directions. A couple of wakes from Bubs before we were joined by Briar Rose with a bad dream.

Actually, I was expecting her - she was sooooo excited about all my presents she was planning to be in bed with me pre-dawn. I did make a case for letting sleeping mothers lie, but I could tell I wasn't convincing enough.

At any rate, I was almost sad that Possum didn't make an entrance early so that I could claim a full family's worth of Mother's Day greetings pre-dawn. Almost sad.

The presents were wonderful - and a complete surprise. Briar Rose had bought a lavendar bath scrubby thing from the school stall. Possum and Ginger Ninja had bought thoughtful treats from Oxfam. But the best of all was a new handbag sized camera from dh! A complete and utter surprise, but something I would have really wanted had I realised it was an option - can't do better than that!

We headed out to the new mega-hardware for the free kids' kitemaking workshop, that only Briar Rose enjoyed (such activities being beneath 10 and 12yo boys), and dh and I bought more than enough to keep subsidising the free kids' activities. The hardware has a kids playground inside - how civilised is that?

Due to a sudden seasonal influx of leaves, I bought a very generously sized compost bin and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to fill it. I should note that Briar Rose surprised and impressed me with her willingness and ability to hop inside the bin to assemble the 16 odd screws that needed screwing! I hadn't realised my almost-baby was big enough to do semi-serious construction work!

No comments: