Friday, December 21, 2007

Thumbs down to our local shopping centre

I've been feeling bemused at the notion of a Christmas Spirit this year, since I discovered that Borders bookstore didn't have a single children's nativity story book amongst the very large collection of Santa-based Christmas stories.

But to me, our local Big W Gungahlin Marketplace's Christmas display really symbolised all that's wrong with the seasonal festivities.

Exhibit A: A nativity scene padlocked in a box sitting un-noticed behind the Santa stage. Naturally, there are no animals or humble shepherds, but there's room for the three kings bearing their expensive gifts.
Exhibit B: Jolly St Nicholas aka Santa Claus spreading good cheer, but not to all. Santa's knee is reserved for those cherubs whose parents are prepared to pay for the privilege.

These are not the values I want for myself or my children.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

MrsT said...

That is so sad :(. At least our beautiful Santa's helper was happy to share his knee for free. They actually asked if you were there for photos or just to send Santa a message and have closer look at his beard. Even then the photos weren't $$$.