Saturday, March 08, 2008

Pear and Ginger jam

Here are the last of the pears in use as pear and ginger jam. A dear patient of dh was chatting with me in the clinic the other week, and I was very keen to hear about her pear and ginger recipe which sounded utterly delicious. Sadly, it was nowhere to be googled.

Imagine my delight when a handwritten recipe was faxed to the clinic from her farm! How truly generous and kind!

I bodged some of the proportions, but will give the original ones below:

Mix 6lbs pears chopped in squares (scrubbed, blemishes removed but not peeled) with 3 1/2 lbs sugar and let stand overnight. The next morning add 1lbs preserved ginger, 1/2 green ginger and a pint of cold water. Boil until thick (which I took to mean "reaches setting point") and bottle. Leave for at least 2 weeks.

Two weeks? I can't stand the suspense!

And Ms K - there's a jar of jam waiting here with your name on it, but no rush to collect it because you can't try it for two weeks! (I also have a box of assorted roomba parts for you :) )
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

karen said...

Ooooh! Combination of Ms K, pears, and Roomba parts - that must mean me! Woohoo - who's lucky girl?! And the jam looks much better than my pear cake, which is so heavy it could be used as an anchor!

Gma said...

Yyuuummmmmm. Makes my mixed berry jam (bought of course!) look so inferior! Hey, I'll be there in two weeks!
XXXX