Friday, April 04, 2008

Hen update

"Sick chook" is doing very well! When I am next able to recharge my camera I'll take a photo, but suffice it to say that she appears fully recovered! The above photo shows her in her early recovery when she was just starting to regain the use of her eyes.

All the hens are looking considerably better, and are laying as well as they usually do when the cold weather begins (which is to say, we're buying eggs because a couple of eggs a day don't go far in a family of seven!).

I attribute sick chook's recovery to Ginger Ninja, who was incredibly patient and dedicated, hand-feeding her at least three times a day. I thought the best we could hope for was a blind hen who would be comfortable enough feeling her way around the hen yard, and anticipated just allowing her to die with a little dignity. The total recovery has been a very welcome surprise to me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: