Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Scottish Oat Cakes

Inspired by the crone, I decided to deprive the hens of the leftover porridge and try my hand at porridge pancakes. My first batch were too sticky, but the second achieved a real "bready" consistency.

Scottish Oat Cakes
Take the pot of leftover porridge.
To every cup of leftovers add 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of oil, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder.
Stir to mix the ingredients. It will be quite stiff.
Heat and grease a skillet or griddle.
Shape into thick pancakes on the griddle, as big or as little as you like.
Turn when browned on the one side.
Continue to cook until second side is browned and the inside is not sticky.
Serve with butter as a bread or spread with syrup or jam and serve as a desert.

From WikiHow
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

naturewitch said...

I've tried the recipe and these are divine! They just scream out for golden syrup and then say eat me, eat me!

Seriously, I'm going to try them again and put in some grated cheese and herbs.

I think this recipe will be a great base for lots of others. Thank you!

love and light